For many years, skincare brands have promoted the idea of “anti-aging,” or removing all traces of aging, especially for women. Truthfully, this marketing scheme has always been ageist, implying there is something inherently wrong with aging. Consumers have to do all they can to prevent nature from taking its course. However, there has been a much-needed change in the past year. Experts now insist that everyone need to move from anti-aging to “pro-aging.” This new skincare strategy entails the following:
- Supporting the skin’s natural progression instead of stunting it
- Balancing antioxidants, moisture, and cell turnover to help ensure that our skin always looks its best
- Restructuring habits and routines and making minor adjustments as you age
- Focusing on steady and slow increments that add up positive effects as the years go by
Instead of fighting nature, you can ride the waves of its change to ensure that your skin remains healthy and glowing, no matter your age. Here are some pointers and secrets for maintaining our skin no matter your age.
This seems like obvious advice, but staying hydrated is one of the most critical factors of good skincare. However, unfortunately, this point often gets lost in the conversation when people talk about healthy skincare habits. Drink a healthy amount of water—at least eight glasses a day—to ensure that you consume the required amount per day.
Another water-drinking tip you need to incorporate into your pro-aging routine? Drink warm water, especially in the early morning. It will do wonders for getting rid of impurities and toxins. If your water heater needs replacement, have a professional look into it as soon as possible. That way, you can have your share of warm drinking water every morning.
Encourage the growth of collagen
Collagen is a protein responsible for keeping bones, skin, muscles, and tendons strong. It is the substance that holds bodies together and repairs tissues. When your skin lacks collagen, that’s when you run the risk of everything sagging and gravity doing its work. As you age, your collagen usually declines. That is why you need to take proactive measures to encourage healthy collagen production. Here are some ways you can achieve this goal:
- Eat foods rich in amino acids and vitamin C.
- Take aloe vera gel, a product known for treating burns and cuts because it can increase collagen.
- Use moisturizers, under-eye products rich in hyaluronic acid, and a serum that promises to boost collagen and keep skin hydrated.
Protect skin from harmful UV rays
If you want to get a tan, don’t get it from a tanning bed. It’s one of the quickest ways to encourage unhealthy skin aging because it can smoke your skin. If you genuinely want to achieve a healthy, sun-kissed glow, get some time outside under the heat of the sun with the protection of sunscreen. The American Academy of Dermatology says that at least SPF 30 or higher is enough to protect your skin from the sun’s harmful UV rays.
Pro-aging is not opposed to tanning, but it is opposed to harmful types of tanning, like a tanning bed or sunbathing without sunscreen. If you want a healthy, Jennifer Lopez-inspired glow, do it the right way to promote positive skin aging.
Do proper cleansing
Here is another rule of thumb for pro-aging: Never go to bed without properly cleaning your face. Dirt, oils, and other debris can accumulate on your face during the day. As such, your face can become breeding grounds for bacteria and other organisms. Here are some tips for ensuring you go to sleep with a clean look without rubbing or stretching too hard:
- Invest in cleansing oil and some cotton pads: Makeup removal wipes may be convenient, but we run the risk of rubbing our faces too hard when we use them. Opting for cleansing oil will help us remove makeup and dirt quickly, eliminating the need to rub too hard to remove debris.
- Make sure you are constantly gently massaging upward: Gravity does its work, and everything falls as you age. Making a habit of massaging your face upward will help combat sagging and premature wrinkles. The keyword is gentle, so be soft and gentle when massaging your face upward.
- Do a double cleanse: After removing your makeup through cleansing oil, use a hydrating facial cleanser to remove the remaining makeup build-up and dirt.
A big part of loving yourself is embracing natural changes but doing it as gracefully as possible. It’s time to move past the old notion of anti-aging and move toward pro-aging. Practice these pro-aging skincare tips, and your skin will be glowing no matter your age.